Post-Trip: FPL Foods and The Rock Ranch

Over the course of spring break, our group visited such a wide variety of agricultural stops that it is hard to pick a favorite. From the orchards of Northeast GA mountains all the way down to the flat acres and acres of farmland in the Southern part of the state, there is something for everyone in Georgia agriculture. Though there are many stops that I could give seemingly infinite reasons for loving, there are only a few that stand out as the most informative and interesting to me.

My favorite part about the Ag Tour was the way that it was set up so that we were able to see almost every aspect of the beef industry, from raising cattle at The Rock Ranch to slaughter and processing at FPL Foods. I believe that it is very important to have some knowledge about where food comes from, and this was a great opportunity to see all about from where beef comes. While some people claim that the process of raising cattle for meat is an inhumane or unethical process, it should be obvious to anyone who has witnessed it first-hand that it is in fact very humane. I have already been able to use the knowledge gained from these experiences to explain to people about the many precautions to ensure the ethical treatment of animals from farming to slaughter.

Other than the great experience of learning about many aspects of farming in Georgia, one of the other  wonderful things about this trip was getting to spend time with other Ag students. It was a diverse group of students from freshmen just getting started to grad students finishing their education and everyone in between. However, the students were not only diverse in age, but also in area of study, ranging in majors and interests. I was blessed with the opportunity to get to know 30 of my piers from Athens and meet students from UGA’s other campuses, and I also enjoyed getting to know faculty members that I would not normally have the chance to get to know.

All in all, it was a great trip, and I am extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to go on it.

• Logan Ruiz